Allen and Webster Letter, 1940

From Glencoe Public Library | Centennial Celebration

The following is the text of a typewritten description of the Library provided by Alfred P. Allen and Maurice Webster (architects) in February of 1940. A PDF of this document (which shows corrections and marginalia) is available here.

ALFRED P. ALLEN AND MAURICE WEBSTER
ASSOCIATED ARCHITECTS
225 N. MICHIGAN BLVD.
CHICAGO

February 1, 1940

Description of GLENCOE PUBLIC LIBRARY

The new Glencoe Public Library is designed along simple Georgian lines. The building is aimed to create an intimate and friendly atmosphere instead of to create the self-important institutional atmosphere evident in many of the older imposing structures. The building is of Colonial brick, stone trim, slate roof, all materials being selected to minimize costs in repair and upkeep.

In a homogeneous community composed of people who have a high standard of conduct and ways of living, it is possible to furnish the interior very much as a high class club or residential library.

The Main Reading Room, which is approximately thirty by forty feet, has a large wood-burning fireplace and will be furnished with comfortable chairs, reading tables and lamps. A large bay window on the east, and north light will make this room a very comfortable reading place. The ceiling is treated with sound-absorbing materials, and the walls are lined with books. The total book capacity on wall shelves outside of stack capacity will be approximately 9000 books. The total ultimate book capacity including stacks will be 35,000 books.

The Reference Reading Room is approximately eighteen by forty feet, and will house all the books on open shelves required for normal reference reading. A screened porch opens off this room on the south overlooking the present park.

The stacks are of modern steel construction and include several reference reading alcoves.

This library also includes a Children's Room on the southeast with its separate entrance and fireplace.

There Is a small Auditorium in the basement which can be used for story
hours and motion picture talks with an audience of approximately 250. It includes a small stage.

A modern workroom for cataloging, art work and repairing of books, and a Librarian's Office together with a small room available for special meetings such as Garden Club, etc., complete the first floor.

The second floor houses a room approximately thirty by thirty feet to be used by the Historical Society. A sun deck opens off this room. The staff rest rooms are also housed on this floor.

The plan of this building follows the "open" plan, T-shaped structure free from internal bearing partitions to permit the greatest possible flexibility to meet changing future conditions.

[start of page 2]

ALFRED P. ALLEN AND MAURICE WEBSTER
ASSOCIATED ARCHITECTS 225 N. MICHIGAN BLVD.
CHICAGO

The building is thoroughly insulated and with the most modern heating equipment, and should cost less to heat than the present structure. The heating equipment includes automatic humidity control.

The technical facilities are so arranged as to simplify the work of the library staff, and greatly reduce the amount of labor for an equal volume of readers. The plans and arrangements of this library have been submitted to the most emminent library authorities in the country and meet their approval.

The whole new Library program has been carried out with the idea of increasing the service of this community, and at the same time by modern construction and facilities holding the expense of this service to a minimum.